As 2014 opens, I’m realizing something:
I’m not where I want to be with my life, and you know? That’s okay.
Because all things considered, I had a pretty good year. I have my ups and my downs. Sometimes my downs are really low and it’s hard to remember the good in my life.
But when I put it in a list like this, the good overwhelmingly outweighs the bad and I think focusing on the good things in my life will help when those times inevitably roll back around.
- I transitioned from a temp job to a permanent position, where (some days) I actually get to use my English degree.
- My best friend lives several states away, but we still managed to see each other for four different trips.
- The bevy and I talk more than ever and it’s fantastic.
- I interviewed several awesome authors and three New York Times bestselling authors in person.
- I met my awesome CP Alex IRL.
- I finished writing and editing my third book– and the first one that I felt could GO somewhere, and got largely positive feedback from my readers.
- I started the arduous, nerve-wracking, and sometimes tear-inducing process of querying and pitching said book. And even got a few requests.
- I began researching my publishing options– really researching them. I don’t know at this juncture whether I’ll self-publish or not, but there’s a whole wide world of options out there and I feel good about whichever path I take.
- I visited North Carolina, New York, and Virginia. I made 2 trips to Disney World and attended two tailgates at my alma mater and caught up with old friends– both ones that I’ve kept in touch with and a couple I’d lost touch with.
- I STILL don’t enjoy working out, but I’ve grown accustomed to it and have a new found confidence in myself these past few months.
- My sorority chapter finally got an on-campus house… three years after I graduated. BUT, I attended the alumnae tea this year and got to see it. GORGEOUS.
- I ran(/walked) my first 5K!
- At the start of this year, I had never seen a Broadway musical. As the year ends, I’ve now seen three (Wicked, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella, and Book of Mormon). And, I saw the Rockettes Christmas show!
- My holiday season was wonderful, filled with fun, family, friends… and of course food.
- And I’m working on a “group project” that I’m truly excited about
And in 2014?
Of course I have small goals: find another vegetable that I like, whittle down my bookshelves, be more… open to things. But I feel that my main focus need to be on my major, concrete goals.
Because my few major goals are simple… but BIG:
1) Finalize a plan for Threats of Sky and Sea. I’ll make a final decision on my path in the next couple months, so stay tuned!
2) Write and revise another book.
3) Purchase my first home.
We’ll see how I do in about a year!